In Romania, there are a number of laws and rules in place surrounding noise and anti-social behaviour. Whether you are planning a little get-together or your dealing with your neighbour upgrading their bathroom, it’s important to know and understand the rules that are in-place to protect the peace and wellbeing of residents.

“Quiet Hours” – orele de liniște

There is actually a law in Romania, specifically Law No 61/1991, which is aimed at ensuring that certain hours of the day, and throughout the night, are protected against acts which would “violate” public order and peace.

The law describes this as:

  • disturbing, without right, the peace of the inhabitants by making noises with any device or object or by shouts or noise;
  • disturbing the peace of the tenants between 22.00-8.00 and 13.00-14.00 by any person by making noises, noise or by using any device, object or musical instrument at high intensity in the premises or premises of persons legal, in the dwellings of natural persons or in any other place in buildings with the destination of dwellings or located in their immediate vicinity;
  • the organization of private parties and the use of music equipment at an intensity likely to disturb the peace of the inhabitants, in tents, other facilities or in uncovered space, located in the perimeter close to residential or social buildings, in urban areas; 

What are the risks?

In February 2020, the laws were adapted to allow for larger fines for people who are considered in breach of the law. Police officers are now able to fine individuals up to 3,000 lei, depending on the circumstances and if they are called more than once within 24 hours.

How do I report anti-social behaviour?

In most cases, it’s a good idea to see if you can reason with the individual(s) that are the source of the anti-social behaviour. However, in some cases, you may not know where exactly the disturbance is coming from, or feel uncomfortable handling the situation.

You could try having a conversation with your landlord and seeing whether they would be prepared to address the issue, or alternatively, if you live in an apartment block, you can report the disturbance to the block administrator.

If you wish to request legal assistance handling such a situation, you can notify “Politia Locala” (Local Police), which can attend as a non-emergency to check out what’s going on and intervene when needed.

You can contact the local police in Cluj-Napoca, by calling: 0264 955


Get updates to your inbox!

Be the first to find out the latest news and information in Cluj-Napoca by joining our mailing list.

You May Also Like

Deposits and Guarantees

In the vast majority of agreements, whenever renting a property, the deposit is paid before the tenancy begins, and is returned to the tenant upon leaving. Here’s everything you need to know about getting it back!

Property Sharing in Cluj-Napoca

So, looking for a flat-mate? It can go a long way to keeping the costs down and building a social life, but there are still a few risks worth evaluating. Here’s a few tips!

Rental Contracts in Romania

Looking to rent a property in Cluj-Napoca? Here’s some important things you should know about tenancy agreements in Romania.

Unpaid Utilities from Previous Tenants

Uh oh… the last tenant left without paying the bills? Worried about inheriting their debt. or receiving warning notices from the supplier? Here’s what you should be doing!